Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 11 - Your favorite book

Where do you start?! Books have been my livelihood from a young age. I still have fond memories of reading The Little House on the Prairie series, Babysitter Club, and of course Harry Potter.


Here's just a few of the memorable ones:


Three Weeks with my Brother by Nicholas Sparks - Wonderful book! I love Nicholas Sparks books in general, but this one felt more personal. It is part autobiography about Sparks and adventure around the world with his brother as a grown adult. His autobiography takes you from a broken childhood of poverty to his adult life struggling with helping his child with autism. Interestingly enough he took up writing after an injury in college made is dream of being a competitive runner impossible. Very few books make me cry but this is on my list.


Green Mile by Stephen King - Never saw the movie and don't really have a desire to. I have a huge fear that the wonderfully rich book will be ruined for me by Hollywood's creation. I read it all in one afternoon while visiting universities my junior year of high school. I cried at the end and then quickly reread it again! 


Harry Potter by J.K Rowling - No list for me is complete without Harry Potter! I have to say in the beginning I had no desire to read them. Becca and Emily were all about them starting in 6th grade when the 1st book was still very new in the United States. I picked up the 2nd book shortly after it had been released and fell in love with the characters. I've been to all of the midnight releases since then and was sad when the final book was released by Junior year of college. It kind of felt like an era had ended as the books got me through my teenage years.


Three Cups of Tea...One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson - This was a recommendation by a lady who I got to know rather well while working as a fitness center receptionist. She was a retired college professor and always had a plethora of reading advice. It's a true story about a man who is on a trek to climb K2 on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan. While on this trek he becomes violently ill and is taken care of for weeks after by a small village on the border of Pakistan. He is moved by their generosity and vows to return with the ability to educate the children in the area including women. He has since built over 50 schools in remote areas all over Pakistan and Afghanistan and has transformed their societies as a result.


Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - To me the moral of this book was be true to yourself and life is never definitive. I read this originally in 4th grade and it's a story that has stuck with me ever since.


Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn - This book is a book Paul got for me as I started my conversion. It was great to hear his account as a previous Protestant minister converting to Catholicism. Seeing him in person this past January was nice as well. 




There's plenty more on my list of memorable books...but it would get boring after a while! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment