Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 9 - A photo of the item you last purchased.

Paul and I have a guilty pleasure with McDonald's fudge sundaes. It typically occurs when we decide there is nothing sweet in the house so we will die if we can't find chocolate. We used to be really bad about getting them during the summer but now we've cut it back to once a week. They're just big enough that you get that sweet kick you want. So here's a picture of the item I last purchased tonight with Pepe:

Aren't I bad catching the hubby while he eats? lol

This past week though I did experiment with another Martha Stewart: Food Everyday creation (not gonna lie kind of in love with that magazine). This test turned out much better I think we'll be making it again but throwing chicken into the spaghetti. It was classic spaghetti with puttanesca. Not knowing what Puttanesca meant I found on Wikipedia of all places it means "whore's style spaghetti" in Italian..weird right? But the sauce itself refers to any salty tomato-based sauce.


So here's the recipe! Paul and I found it really yummy and easy. A nice change from the normal sauce.

1/4 cup olive oil (or as much as you want..we only use enough for the bottom of the pan)
1 1/2 cups of grape (or cherry) tomatoes quartered lengthwise
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped (or as many as you want...I say the more the merrier!)
3 anchovy fillets, minced (left this out)
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata or other brimed olives, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 cups tomato puree from 15 oz can (I accidentally picked up 8 oz reg. tomato sauce but it still worked great! I think it made for a more tomato sauce)

In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Combine grape tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, and garlic and cook until fragrant and tomatoes soften (about 5 minutes). Add tomato puree and season with salt and pepper as desired. Cook sauce for an additional 2 minutes. It says you can add pasta water if you need to thin the sauce out.


Great thing with this sauce is you can kind of tweak it to your likes. If you don't feel like making everything coarse you could probably skip that step. If you're crazy in love with anchovies for some weird reason...feel free to add all you want but I won't be eating it! lol I'm thinking about adding red pepper flakes to mine next time for some heat. I'm from Texas it isn't food without some kick! :-)

And in other news:


It rained! We haven't had rain in forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment